Quilting: Fracture Quilting (2 Part Class)
Adult Advanced Beginner
Location: Leilani Studio
Squeeeee! We are SO excited to have Barbara Oakely, quilter extraordinaire on our team and she can't wait to teach you all about quilting! Learn a simple strip technique to create unique and stunning fractured quilts! These startling images will draw you in like no other and leave friends and family guessing at how you did it. Great for large-scale prints, panels, and your own digital photos. Add extra flair with your own special quilting touches for a one-of-a-kind masterpiece! Confession: I'm making Barbara teach this because I think it's so cool and I'm secretly trying to drop in photos of my own for her to do a wall hanging for me without knowing it, wish me luck!
- Blue painter’s tape & permanent marker for marking your fabric strips.
- Clear marking and organization are essential for this project. The whole effect can be ruined if pieces are mixed up or mislabeled in the process.
- Stabilizer or Starch (highly recommended). There are a number of good options here. We’ll discuss several in class. Some that I recommend include:
- Lightweight Fusible such as Pellon 911F or Floriani Fusible No-Show Mesh
- Terial Magic
- Best Press Starch Alternative
- Wonder Clips if you wish to use them
4 EXACT copies of the image you want to fracture – whether that’s 4 repeats of the same fabric motif or 4 copies of the same digital image printed on fabric – you need enough fabric to cut out 4 copies that will be exactly the same size, shape, and image.
- We’ll talk about what makes a good image in class.
- You may also want to bring digital photos that you’re interested in but not sure about. We’ll talk about whether they might work.
Border Fabric – You can add borders – simple or complex – to your fractured piece either before or after the fracture. If you do so before, be sure to have enough fabric for all 4 copies.
Class Level: This class is for Adult Advanced Beginner/Intermediate Sewists. Previous experience with machine sewing, several completed sewing projects and some pattern reading is required. Please email us if you are concerned you may not be at the right level for this class.
Cancellation Policy: No refunds are offered for classes or camps. Cancellations received 72 hours before class start, will be able to redistribute their class fees to another class/camp. Cancellations received less than 72 hours before class start or no-shows forfeit their class fees. We are unable guarantee the same class or session will be available for rescheduling. Arriving more than 30 minutes late for class may be a forfeit of class fees.